Over the weekend I was at Wal-Mart doing some shopping. I had all 4 kids with me at the checkout line and was minding my own business checking out my groceries. On the next aisle by us (it was a self check aisle) a mentally disabled girl (around 11ish) was standing next to her parents. She then decided to stand next to my cart. I thought nothing of it and figured her parents would call her back to their cart. Well, I bent down to get a box of cereal out to put on the conveyor belt when this girl grabbed a chunk of my hair and held on for dear life!! I could not get her to let go of my hair. Believe it or not though I was as cool as a cucumber. I asked her to let go of my hair and she would not so I ended up asking the cashier if she could call out for her parent to help me. The cashier thought she was my child! Uh no. So she immediately called the Dad and the Dad immediately yelled out her name, "Bridgette let go of her hair!" Thankfully she let go and no harm was done.
But wouldn't you know that a slew of shoppers were around when this happened and could not believe the scene. The cashier complimented me on how well I handled it and how she would have freaked. I guess my years of working in nursing homes came in handy that time.
The worst part of it all though was how it freaked my kids out. They were so scared (even my 14yo). My 3 yo. is still asking me why my hair was grabbed. Poor kids. I just explained to them that God creates people in all shapes and sizes and that we are all children of God and to be thankful for our own health and well being.
Looking back on it I am pretty proud of how I handled things. I am normally the one to get hysterical and freak but for some reason I just knew that I needed to be calm and steady. God was with me as well as my angels. God is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment