
I went to the store and bought some health food goodies. On my prior detox I really did not delve much into these foods but rather stuck to what I knew ie: veggies, whole grains in limited quantities, and lots of water. This time around after a lot of reading and researching I am learning just how important not only supplements are but food as well. Food can act as your pharmacy, healing all that aids you. So, this is now my pharmacy along with a handful of supplements I am currently taking.
Agave Nectar: it is a natural sweetener derived from a plant. It does not affect your blood sugar the way table sugar does. A little goes a long way and is great to use to sweeten tea, oatmeal, anywhere you would need a dose of sweetness.
Sushi Nori: I have never tried this stuff and am waiting to get some courage up to try. It is loaded with live enzymes, minerals, and is all around good for you. I'll let you know when my courage sets in to try that! But from all that I have read its really supposed to be good for you.
Quinoa: Another food I have not yet tried. It is packed full of amino acids making it a complete protein. Many vegetarians eat this to get their protein in. I am not a veg. but I like the way protein makes me feel fuller longer. I hope to try this goodness in a few days.
Goji berries: Yummy! I tried them for the first time and they are so good. The texture is like a raisin. You eat them right out of the bag or you can sprinkle them on oatmeal or blend up in a smoothie. They are chockful of antioxidants and are known for their healing properties. They enhance you immune system helping it to function better. A very small handful is all you need with this little powerhouse of sweet goodness.
Chia seeds: Ok these were scary at first. And just so you know yes these are the same things that you see late at night on the infomercials selling chia pets. I have to admit after eating these I have envisioned a chia pet growing in my tummy! ha! Let me tell you these are soo yummy. These too are a complete protein, gluten free, high in fiber, and high in minerals. A little goes a long way with these as well. When I first made a bowl of these I was surprised to see how little was in that bowl. You use 2 tablespoons of chia with 4 tablespoons of liquid ( i used unsweetened vanilla almond milk) and let it sit (gel) for 4 minutes. I looked at it and thought how in the world is that little amount going to fill me up. Well let me tell you it does and keeps you full until lunch. This is coming from a girl who can eat 1 1/2 cups cereal and still be hungry 2 hours later.
Green tea: I usually do not drink this as I find it bitter. However I have read about adding a bit of agave nectar and vanilla almond milk to take the bitter out. I'm planning on drinking this tonight. This tea is full of antioxidants as well as anti cancer properties. My goal is to have a cup a day of this protective, healing tea.
Lemon water: I should be drinking this upon rising but I'm finding myself still a bit nauseated. I just can't stomach the thought of drinking lemon water early in the morning right now. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I will be able to do this.
As far as detox symptoms I have been tired. Luckily its summer and the kids are sleeping in late as am I. This is helping immensely being able to sleep longer as sleep is so healing to our bodies. I'm not sure what I will do when school starts back up in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping by then to be detoxed and feeling energized so I won't need as much sleep.
As for eating today:
breakfast was chia seeds with goji berries sprinkled on top. decaf coffee with stevia and a splash of cream.
Lunch will most likely be a salad topped with tomatoes, peppers, tuna, and my mom's dressing.
Dinner not sure yet. But it will be something along the lines of fitting into my new diet.
I have been reading about how important it is to eat something every 3hours but I just have not been hungry. If you eat every 3 hours it actually will stimulate your metabolism so you burn more calories. At this point I just can't justify eating between meals when I am not hungry.
I'm off to head to Barnes & Nobles with the kids. Hubbie left work early today as he is just exhausted from all the work he has been doing. I'm hoping to give him a couple of hours of a quiet house while the kids and I browse through the bookstore. I have a book on hold I am planning on picking up: The Four Agreements. It came highly recommended to me so that will be new book to read and hopefully inspire me on my new journey to healing.

Just wanted to say I'm cheering you on, Helen!
ReplyDeleteOh...and my daughter LOVES nori. I don't understand it, but a friend of mine calls it "kid crack"....her kids fight over it.