About Me

My photo
I'm a sahm to 4 creative, inspiring, awesome kids and married to my HS sweetheart. I am loving my life.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life isms: Dishes

The best investment you can make for yourself in starting out your kitchen is to buy one set of white dishes. White cereal bowls, pasta bowls, large plates, salad plates, and coffee mugs. Buy a set for 8. I have found Crate & Barrel to be the best place to buy this initial investment. They tend to be more plain and go well with anything. Plus they tend to have the best price and the dishes hold up really well.

Now that you have this "basis" you can then add elements of color to your set via a colorful serving platter, a vintage plate, a vintage tea cup, etc.

I love the idea of having certain "stand alone" pieces for special occasions. While at Goodwill one day (and please do frequent your goodwills...this is where you can find some true gems for cheap to add to your white basis) i found an adorable small plate with a painted cupcake on it. I am planning on using this plate for each person's bday to make their day that much more special.

Creating rituals with special pieces just makes that piece all the more treasured. With that said don't "save" certain pieces for certain occasions. Yes I'm using that cupcake plate only for bdays but I am not saving my crystal china for a rainy day. No. I use my crystal bowl daily to put grapes in or fruit in and when I open my fridge and see this shiny piece of crystal holding fruit it makes my day. Use your pieces in ways that make you happy. Drink out of your vintage floral tea cup and saucer. I know its more practical to drink your tea out of a coffee mug but drinking it out of a floral tea cup just makes it that much more special.

That is what I want for ya'll. I want ya'll to see the special in the mundane and to make your days a bit more enjoyable even if it does sound a bit outlandish to have crystal in your fridge. Trust me the sight of it will make your heart sing!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, I love the theme of your blog - finding time for yourself and living the life of your dreams. I so relate!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and posting such a great comment. I wrote a detailed answer and it was great fun: http://bohemianseason.blogspot.com/2010/03/can-maximalism-and-minimalism.html

    Hope it gives you some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our set of white dishes. We have a colorful set and a white set. I really like having the two choices. :)

    Thanks for your comments on the red dye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! If you want to email me your address at suzysouthern@sprint.blackberry.net and I will send you a copy of Auntie Ruthie's ebook that was a part of the giveaway. I totally understand how difficult it is to afford just about anything lately!:0)

    I wanted to thank you for signing up for my giveaway last week. Though you didn't win the items I feel like a winner as you are now a follower! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete