Oh boy are my feathers in a ruffle today...I read in my newspaper today this big spread on PMDD otherwise known as PMS times 100. Mind you this disorder only affects 3-8% of women yet they talk about it like every woman suffers from it. Now I'm not saying that this not true and unheard of..I'm sure there are some women who do suffer with this and for that I am sorry but why give so much publicity to something that only affects such a small population. For instance, I'm sure you have seen the birth control commercials touting their pill as the cure all for PMDD. We watch this group of women talk about their "symptoms" and how once they started taking their birth control pill they magically felt better..oh but at the end they do give a long list of hurriedly said complications that can occur from said pill such as blood clots, heart attack, etc. No thanks.
Why isn't more publicity being thrown at women's cancer and heart disease. Now that is something to be worried about and concerned over. Why they don't? I believe pharmaceutical companies are at play. I mean there is no "cure all" pill for heart disease. There is no "cure all" pill for cancer. These illnesses require a multifaceted approach to treatment which honestly does not make the drug companies money like this "pill" can.
It makes me wonder though how our society makes women feel like we are walking "illnesses". Why must we box women in? Why must we label women as having this, that, and the other and they must take this magic pill or potion to conquer this, that, and the other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have all kinds of theories about the Rx companies. Dirty, dirty, sneaky people.
ReplyDeleteWhy is it that a product to treat stomach discomfort causes diarhea, and anal leakage?
That makes no sense.
Sorry to be graphic, but these are words used on television! Couldn't you just die???
I'm glad that *artist* urged you to write another post!
ReplyDelete